We often don't see the hidden gems for affordable misstakes waiting for us to discover them; they are simple and our kids can recover from them even if they "fail". What is hiding in plain sight in your home?
Younger Kids (Toddler/Preschool):
- Can they pour their milk? Can they get out their own cups? Utensils? Set the table?
- Can they serve themselves their food? Can they pour cereal from a box?
- Can they choose clothes appropriate for the weather?
- Who is picking up their toys? Do they know where toys go?
- Can they wash their ears? Scrub their hair? Pour out the right amount of soap to wash their hair?
- Who takes out the garbage? Can they get a new bag to replace the old one?
- Who is cleaning up plates after a meal? Washing the counters? Loading the dishwasher?
- Can they make their breakfast or pack their lunch? Can they unpack their lunch bag?
- Who is waking them up in the morning?
- Who is planning their homework? Do they decide what needs to be done and when?
- Who is doing their laundry? Can they sort and fold? Do they know how to separate colors or why they need to be separated?
- Can they cook their own dinner? Can they make mac-n-cheese? Caesar salad? A burrito?
- Can they change their beds and towels? Clean the bathroom? How often do they need cleaning?
- Who handles the money for all their tutoring and lessons? Do they write the checks or do you?